[: en] The Cloud Desktop (also called DaaS or Destop as a Service) is a whole computer transferred to the Cloud, which is consequently accessible where and when you want. No matter where you are or which device (pc, tablet, smartphone) you are using at that time: you can connect and access "your" computer. All your data is transferred to an absolutely safe place, a place that will never present "technical problems" and that is very easy to reach. In short, the dream of all the owners of a PC, which at least once have experienced a genuine panic when their PC has suddenly failed or was attacked by a virus and have risked losing all their data ... Here it is not it is possible to access all your files: with Cloud Desktop you have the possibility to access your entire PC, (in practice at your Desktop) as if it were physically present. And this means: operating system, software applications, of course folders and files, that is an absolutely complex interface, which can now be moved to the Cloud.
Synchronization belongs to the past, the Cloud Desktop is the future. In fact, you do not need to synchronize your Cloud Desktop with your PC or your smartphone. Whether it's your computer, whether it's your friend's tablet or your sister's smartphone, the moment you open your Desktop, it will be the same from any device. And in some cases, no download is required: all you need is a browser.
Cloud Desktops can be applied to both Windows operating systems and Linux operating systems and there are already some innovative solutions on the market that can be used with both Windows and Linux.
Below you will find a brief summary of all the innovative operations that can be performed by both operating systems:
- Management of every software application
- Remote access to all your files and folders
- Access from any device (PC, smartphone, tablet)
- No need for synchronization
- Remote control
- File transfer
- Safe saving in memory: impossible to lose files or folders!
- Monthly or annual payment according to consumption
Now let's examine the main Cloud Desktop all their characteristics, together with the strengths:
- VMware Horizon Air: can be used with the Windows XP virtual desktop, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2012 R2. With the OS server the cost is inclusive of license, while for users of Windows 7 or Windows 8 it is necessary to purchase the license separately. Clouds can be integrated with Active Directory. WMware offers three types of services at different costs (monthly or yearly) and also offers considerable discounts. The Desktop can be permanent or not and uses the PCoIP protocol, but it also works with RDP. The service is provided directly by WMware or by authorized providers and the price may vary considerably depending on the services chosen. WMware offers a free trial period to anyone interested in buying.
- Amazon WorkSpaceIt also allows for the provision of cloud-based documents and provides users with access to documents and can be used with both PC and Mac. Amazon WorkSpace can be integrated with Active Directory. In addition, it uses an SPLA (Services Provider License Agreement) and does not require any other type of license. With the SPLA license, the product offer is at a monthly rate and the costs are decidedly competitive. The user only pays for the service he uses, on a monthly basis and the costs are stable. In case slight increases are expected, these occur only in the month of January. Prices range from $ 35 to $ 75 per month. This Cloud Desktop uses very light software for virtualization, the Xen Hypervisor and also employs the PCoIP protocol.
- Citrix Xen Desktop: this Cloud Desktop is used with the operating systems Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008 and 2012 R2 and is able to provide complete virtual desktops to PCs, Macs, tablets, smartphones, laptops. In short: an on demand service available and secure. Use the HDX protocol and its services can be obtained through an authorized provider. You can use a free version of the product.